Saturday, February 8, 2014

Rare Dragonflies and Fallen Trees

It was a long trekking deep into the forest on 11 Jan 2014. I started at Old Upper Thomson Road and walked along  a forest trail that would lead me to the Upper Peirce Reservoir.

My very first shot of the morning was this Ultra Snowflat (Tagiades Ultra) at the entrance to the trail.
The Flashwing damselfly is beautiful. There were quite a few of them sunbathing along a quiet forest trail. I am not sure if this is the Vestalis amethystina.
This is the Malay Viscount (Tanaecia pelea pelea ) feeding on a kind of fruit - not sure what it was and I wasn't able to get closer to it.
A Tree Flitter (Hyarotis adrastus praba) just appeared from nowhere when I was at the spot where I could not proceed any further. It kept changing its perch even it was feeding on the Common Snakeweed flowers. 
My first sighting of a Libellago species deep in the forest near a stream. It looks like the rare Libellago hyalina - am I correct ?
Another rare dragonfly was found nearby - again it was my sighting of the  Paragomphus capricornis if I had identified it correctly.
Another damselfly was shot at a low-light environment when I was on my way out  - what is this species ?
I would like to sound an alarm here as there are clear symptoms that our forest has been "falling sick". I encountered more than five fallen trees along the forest trail; let me just post two shots here.

More fallen trees would mean that very soon our forest undergrowths would be taken over by the fast and wild-growing ferns like this.
This "patient" needs a lot of attention now. We need suitable "medicine" to nurse this "patient" back to good health before it is too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment