Sunday, March 16, 2014

Two Different Pansies @ Punggol End

It was rather hot and hazy but windy when I arrived at Punggol end in the late morning on 1 March. I could feel the heat emancipating from the ground - wild vegetation was struggling to fight the drought; a large patch of a grassland had been wiped out by bush fire brought about by a prolonged period of dry spell since mid January. In fact, this February is Singapore's driest month since 1869 (see here and here).




I was delighted to see a few Blue Pansies (Junonia orithya wallacei) actively flying around at one particular location and occasionally resting on the dry ground. With a lot of patience waiting for them to perch, I managed to snap some quick shots.
Another specimen rested on a dry lalang leaf.
While exploring the surrounding area, I came to a stream near Track 17 where I noticed a small colony of Grey Pansy (Junonia atlites atlies). 
Another specimen was feeding on some wild flowers.
A very worn out Arhopala was flitting above me but I failed to get a shot. Instead, I noticed a dark moth-like bug resting on a leaf - a kind of planthopper or something else?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sir,

    My name is Nicole and I am a Life Science Major Student from National University of Singapore. I am currently taking a module known as "Natural Heritage of Singapore" and we are given an assignment to design a poster of a habitat in Singapore, describing 3 animals and 3 plants. One of the animals which my group mates and I have chosen is the Common Lascar Butterfly. We came across your blog post, "Last Weekend of November @ MNT", dated December 12, 2009 and saw the amazing close-up photograph of the Common Lascar taken by you. Therefore, we would like to seek permission from you to use that photograph in our poster. You may contact me @ A0112524@nus.edu.sg

    We would love to send you a copy of our poster once it is completed.

    If you need any verification, you may contact my module coordinator/lectuere, Dr Ng Ngan Kee, at dbsngnk@nus.edu.sg

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    Cheers,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete