Saturday, December 28, 2013

Skipper Butterflies of Langkawi

Continue from previous post

Along the main forest trail leading to the waterfall at Lubuk Semilang, I saw more skippers this year. These two brown skippers were identified as Borbo cinnara by Dr Seow of BC - both specimen were not far apart from each other.

A small skipper was puddling on the ground near the entrance to the forest trail at Lubuk Semilang. It looks like a  Pelopidas agna agna .
Another brown skipper was found feeding on a purple flower of the Butterfly-pea (Clitoria ternatea). Perhaps this is another P agna agan.
At the waterfall area, a  Pelopidas mathias mathias rested on a concrete wall.
This Brown Awl (Badamia exclamationis) zipped past me a few times before settling  underneath a leaf.
The Zela species are generally rare and they are usually found in lowland forest. Thanks Les for highlighting that this is Zela excellens instead of Zonara solex due to its whitened antennal club. This was the only shot taken without the flash light.
There were at least two White-tipped Palmers (Lotongus calathus calathus) "dog-fighting" under the morning hot sun on 8 Dec at Lubuk Semilang. When one of  them landed on a leaf a few meters away from me, I quickly positioned myself and snapped two quick shots. 
The Banded Demon (Notocrypta paralysos variants) was shot at Telaga Tujuh next to a stream.
The Fulvous Pied Flat (Pseudocoladenia dan dhyana ) came out to sunbathe in the late afternoon. It scooted off  and changed its perch to somewhere nearby whenever it was flashed. I had to take this shot without using the flashlight. However, I noticed that at a certain shutter speed, I could capture a clear image even it reacted strongly to the flashlight.   
Another Flat skipper Sarangesa dasahara dasahara at Lubuk Semilang also displayed the same behaviour as what Fulvous Pied Flat did.
The Narrow-banded Velvet Bob (Koruthaialos rubecula rubecula) can be distinguished from another look-alike K. sindu by its long and thin third segment of the palpi. I saw quite a few of them at different spots especially along forest edges. 

I will show all my Arhopala species in my next blog post.

1 comment: