Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Cloudy Day @ Pulau Ubin

It was a cloudy and cool Saturday morning (22 Sept). I hesitated awhile before I made up my mind heading to Pulau Ubin since my last visit to the island was more than 3 months ago.  Perhaps students were having  examinations,  there were not many visitors on the island. 

As usual, I went straight to the Butterfly Hill. At the Nparks nursery, I noticed a Pea Blue (Lampides boeticus) fluttering and puddling on the ground.
A  male Leopard Lacewing (Cethosia cyane) landed on a leaf  right in front of me at the Butterfly Hill. With my instinctive reaction, I was quick enough to snap a shot before he scooted off.
There were two rather skittish Black Veined Tiger (Danaus melanippus hegesippus) flitting around a grass patch at the foot of the Butterfly Hill. Quite often they perched on the dry Crotalaria retusa fruits and "scratched" the surfaces of the fruits. 
There were a few Dark Glassy Tigers (Parantica agleoides agleoides) fluttering around the shrubs as well.
There were quite a few larvae feeding on the Seven Golden Candlesticks (Cassia alata) leaves. This is one  of the late instar larvae of the Mottled Emigrant (Catopsilia pyranthe pyranthe).  
I guess this is a Detached Dart Potanthus trachala tytrleri), one of the largest Potanthus species that can be found here in Singapore. 
If you are not observant, you would probably miss this skittish Bamboo Tree Brown (Lethe europa malaya) flitting on the shady ground covered with dry leaves. 
The cool and nice weather enticed me to venture to the northern part of the island. Along the way to  Noordin Beach, I could see an orange butterfly flitting amongst a hedge of mangrove shrubs. I could only get   an upperside shot of this female Sumatran Sunbeam (Curetis saronis sumatrana).   
I am glad to see that a few Chamaecrista mimosoides shrubs - the larval host plant of The No brand Grass Yellow (Eurema brigitta senna), were doing well. Let us hope that this unfortunate species which lost its home at Punggol would re-establish a new home at the Butterfly Hill soon. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment