Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Rare Skipper In the West

On a fine Saturday morning, I went to a forested area in the western part of Singapore. The first butterfly that I could snap a few shots was a Common Caerulean (Jamides celeno aelianus). There a few of them feeding and fluttering around their larval host plants - Vigna reflexopilosa  on a wasteland. 
Next, a couple of Blue Glassy Tigers (Ideopsis vulgaris macrina ) were fluttering amongst the Bidens flowers.
I  went further into the wasteland but there were not many critters willing to pose for me except for this orange skipper which looks like a Besta Palm Dart (Telicota besta bina) ?
I was rather surprised to see a Grass Demon (Udaspes folus) in a wasteland.    
Besides some bees and perhaps some wasps, a red net-winged beetle was feeding and enjoying its meal on some Mile-a-Minute flowers.  
Perhaps this is a kind of weevil ? They were rather small. Were they mating ?  
On my way out, a brown skipper which looks like a female Contiguous Swift (Polytremis lubricans lubricans) zipped past me and landed on a Bidens flower.         
It was approaching noon, I decided to take a look at a shady forested area opposite the wasteland. After a while, a male Harlequin (Taxila haquinus haquinus) was seen flitting around quite skittishly.        
While waiting for the Harlequin to appear again, I saw a paper wasp (?) building its nest. 
I encountered at least two Fulvous Pied Flats (Pseudocoladenia dan dhyana) - all of them were rather alert and refused to let me take a proper shot.
This orange moth looks like a butterfly in many ways - which does not seem to open its wings like many other species of moths.  
My last shot of the day in a shade was this very rare skipper ,the Yellow Chequered Lancer  (Plastingia pellonia). It flitted a few times and finally perched on a leaf at the eye-level. Before I could take more shots it disappeared completely. What a lucky day for me as I didn't expect to see this species at this location.  

No comments:

Post a Comment