Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seletar Wasteland 3 Jan 2009 Part 1 - Larval Host Plants

The weather this morning was ideal for a nature outing. I decided to head out to the wasteland area near the Seletar Camp to check for any sign of No Brand Grass Yellow (Eurema brigitta senna) butterfly because a fellow ButterflyCircle (BC) member BJ and I had trans-located some larvae from Punggol many weeks ago.
This is part of BC's delibrate effort in saving the NBGY. However, this speices does not seem to be able to establish a new home here yet even though the larval host plants - Cassia mimosoids are growing very well here. There is rich plant diversity in the wasteland vegetation (will feature more plant species next time). There are two other mimosa look-alike shrubs growing in this strip of wasteland.- interestingly, each of these is a larval host plant of two different species of butterfly.
This is Aquatic Sensitive Plant (Neptunia plena , Fabaceae). The young leaves are redish brown in colour and you can see two white spindle-shaped eggs of Eurema hecabe contubernalis (Common Grass Yellow) being laid singly on them.Though I don't often see butterflies feeding on the attractive yellow flowers, these flowers are certainly very prominent and pleasing to the eyes.
By looking at just the leaves alone, we may not be able to differentiate between Neptunia plena and Aeschynomene americana [family: Fabaceae/Leguminosae)]. The photos show the fruits and a tiny pinkish flower.

This slender shrub is an alternative larval host plant of Common Sailor (Neptis hylas papaja). Here is an egg being laid near the tip of the leaf.
This page will be updated again when I have suitable pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for this post. I've always wondered about these beautiful plants and their role in the habitat. I've learnt a lot from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ria.
    I am glad that you find this post useful - a big affirmation that spurs me on. I am very new to blogging and hope to learn from you. I learn a lot too by reading up resources, organising them and finally the blogging part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, I can see the hard work you put into your posts as they are very well put together and so informative. It is very much appreciated!

    And I am sure your posts will raise awareness among ordinary people so that they will see so-called 'wasteland' with new eyes.

    You've certainly opened my eyes!

    ReplyDelete