Friday, January 11, 2013

Butterflies of Langkawi Part 2

Continue from Part 1

The area of  the main island of Langkawi is about 32 thousand hectares and about 2/3 of the main island is covered by forests, mountains and natural vegetation. The weather wasn't too bad on most of the days but towards the late afternoon it usually turned cloudy. Let me begin with some perching butterfly shots taken on the first day. 

A Pointed Ciliate Blue (Anthene lycaenina miya) welcomed me when we reached Lubuk Semilang on the first day afternoon.

A very similar species, Ciliate Blue (Anthene emolus) can be identified easily by a a black spot on the base of the  hindwing but this one looked rather small to me.

This Yellow butterfly, a Eurema species  is not the same as what I usually saw in Singapore When it  fluttered, a "black bar" on the upperside wings across the abdomen could be seen clearly. This is  Eurema nicevillei - the identification was confirmed when I had a chance to look at the uppersides. 

I spotted a few Fluffy Tit (Zeltus amasa) at Lubuk Semilang and the Seven Wells area.
Another specimen perching high on a leaf.
We went to the Seven Wells (Telega Tujuh) waterfall area on our second day (14 Dec). It wasn't a good day for me as I had problem getting the correct focusing settings on my new D7000 camera. 
Worst still, an important document dropped off from my pocket when I was shooting a puddling butterfly on the ground. Very luckily it was picked up by Mr Teo later (thanks again, Mr Teo) 

There weren't many puddling butterflies along a river bank. This Yellow looks like the Erema simulatrix but it looked larger than the usual size.

This is a Common Tit (Hypolycaena erylus teatus) sucking the moisture on a rock along a river bank.
Enough of puddling butts, let us go back to the forest trails. A female Simiskina pharyge deolina was found along a shady forest trail leading to the the waterfall at Lubuk Semilang.
The left hindwing of this Lemon Pansy (Junonia lemonias lemonias) was slightly deformed. Just like other Pansy, it is a sun-loving species that like to flit around on a open patch of grassland.
The female Magpie Crow (Euploea radamanthus ramanthus) is rarer than the male. I could only get a long distance shot as she was just too shy to come down.
However, there were a few rather alert males teasing us.
There were a few Crow butterflies fluttering along the shady trail leading to the Lubuk Semilang waterfall. I could only id it as Euploea sylvester harrisii after checking my reference book.
This beautiful Clubtail with a yellow abdomen female Pachliopta neptunus neptunus raised my excitement a few times - but getting a decent shot was extremely difficult as she kept fluttering without stopping while looking for the host plant to lay eggs. I was rather lucky to spot this female high on the tree on the last day - I supposed she was trying to lay eggs. 
The colour of the Knight (Lebadea martha martha) is slightly different from what we usually see in the southern part of the Malayan peninsular and Singapore.
Let me change the focus here, showing a rather small lycaenid resting on a leaf at one shady corner in the breeze - this is the Quaker (Neopithecops zalmora zalmora).
This mating pair of Coelites epiminthia epiminthia was spotted by CH early in the morning on the last day when two of us were at Lubuk Semilang again - very skittish pair and we had no chance for a close-up shot.
A different sub-species of the Common Palmfly, this one should be a Elymnias hypermnestra tinctoria as it showed a clear orange patch on the upperside forewing.
A Dark Glassy Tiger (Parantica agleoides agleoides) was resting on a twig high on a tree - that gave me good chance to get a blue sky shot.

To be continued.


No comments:

Post a Comment