Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 1 of Year of the Rabbit @ BSP

I usually spend my first day of the lunar new year at my in-law's place at Bah Soon Pah (BSP) - no exception this year on 3 Feb. I also don't stay in the house for long so after lunch I "sneaked out" in the afternoon to take a good look at the herb garden or some wild places nearby.

At one corner of the herb garden, some wild Bidens flowers attracted a few insects especially butterflies and bees. This brown skipper is Chestnut Bob (Iambrix Salsala salsla) zipping around the garden.
A rather pristine Cycad Blue (Chilades pandava pandava) was busy feeding on the flowers.
Another brown skipper which looks like a Small Banded Swift (Pelopidas mathias mathias) appeared briefly and perched on a flower "fishing" for nectar.

I took a slow walk towards the dead end of Bah Soon Pah Road where a patch of wild vegetation was my hunting ground. On a quiet and windy afternoon only this orange Pothanthus skipper was kind enough staying quite still for me to take a few shots.

The ground colour of this large hawk moth caterpillar is greenish-yellow which was found on the underside of a leaf above my eye level.
Here is a grasshopper resting on a palm leaf.
Another hairy moth larva was spotted on a wild Cinnamon leaf - I have encountered this larva a few times but I am yet to find out what species it is. (Note : it may be a larva of Trabala species)
Wishing everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous Lunar New Year.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fed,
    Wishing you Happy New Year.
    regards,<< Yong >>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your site - you've got some very nice insect photographs here. I'll definitely bookmark in my "Insects and Invertebrates" blogroll. Regards--ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yong San - wishing you a fruitful and prosperous lunar new year ahead.

    Hi Ted, thanks for you kind comments - giving me great encouragement to continue writing.

    ReplyDelete