Sunday, January 22, 2017

Butterflies of Lantau Island, Hong Kong Part 2

Another hunting ground is the San Tau village. From Tung Chung bus terminal , I took Bus 34 to Yat Tung Estate and walked leisurely on a foot path towards a coastal village.

The Neopithecops zalmora was taken last September during my first visit to this coastal village - there was a small colony there. I could still see them flying around during my subsequent visits in November and December. 
A female was trying to lay eggs on its host plant

White Dragontail (Lamprotera curius walkeri) is the only Dragontail butterfly we can find in Hong Kong - it is quite common. It was puddling on the footpath before settling down on a leaf for sunbathing.  
This Black Prince (Rohana parisatis) was extremely skittish and sensitive to movement. Whenever I approach closer it would take off - a quick shot was taken when it perched high on a tree. 
This is the dry-season form of the Chilades lajus - it was quite abundant in December.
An upper side shot of a male when it was exposed to the sunshine in a cool weather.
It was a pity that I scared this large fellow away when it was puddling on the ground behind a house. It lnaded on the flowers instead. A long-distance record shot of a female  (Euthalia phemius seitzi) was what I could do.
There were some wild Bidens flowers near a small temple. Here we could see some common butterflies busy feeding on the flowers on a sunny day.

This form catilla of the Catopsilia pomona pomona is rather rare in Singapore. However, I have encountered a number of times in Hong Kong.
A solitary Blue Spotted Crow (Euploea midamus) was feeding voraciously from flower to flower in a cool and breezy day.
Delias parsithoe was everywhere but it was not that easy to compose a good shot.
 At times she opened its wings to enjoy the heat from the sunshine
A large praying mantis was crawling on the handrail when we were heading out to the bus terminal at the Yat Tung Estate.
My friends and I also went to Tai O fishing village area in last November but the butterfly activities were rather low. A lycaenid flew past us and landed on a leaf - it looks like a Jamindes alecto.
This is a Dark Cerulean (Jamides bochus)

2 comments:

  1. My favorite bird is butterfly. I just love to see when they are flying in the graden from one tree to another. I often visit the garden just to see the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterflies are beautiful creature of God, we hardly see them now in our region, such posts are fruit for soul. Thanks for sahring it with us

    ReplyDelete