Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Quiet Morning at USR

On a fine Saturday morning on On 27 September, I dropped by Upper Seletar Reservoir (USR) Park.  At the entrance to the second trail, a Starry Bob (Iambrix stellifer) was flitting around. 
A small orange skipper, the Common Dartlet (Oriens gola pseudolus ) preferred to hang around sunlit forest fringes. 
A female Common Posy (Drupadia ravindra moorei) changed her perches a few times hastily before I could snap a record shot. 
Something extra on this rather tattered Arhopala major caught my attention. It was rather skittish initially but after a while it succumbed to my persistence. A red parasitic mite was sticking on to its head. More information on mites on butterflies :
http://butterflycircle.blogspot.sg/2009/10/parasitic-mites-on-butterflies.html
http://benthebutterflyguy.blogspot.sg/2009/10/trombidiums-dicrocheles-mites-and-their.html

Interestingly, when I returned to the same location, I noticed the mite had occupied the whole eye.  What a poor butterfly - its vision might have been affected.
There weren't many critters for me to photograph. So when this Dark Brand Bush Brown (Mycalesis mineus macromalayana) perched at a nice position, I could not resist taking some shots of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment