Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Quiet Morning at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (SBWR)

I noticed that my last outing to SBWR was many years ago before I started this blog. So On 10th Aug, I decided to set off early to take a look. Perhaps due to its relatively poor "accessibility" by public transport on a Saturday morning, there were few visitors. If not for the continuously loud cicada songs, the whole place was truly deserted and devoid of wild life.

Strolling slowly and enjoying the morning breeze without taking any shot for close to an hour, I finally spotted this White Banded Awl (Hasora taminatus malayana) on a boardwalk resting beneath a leaf above my head. It was tame but not the kind of perch any photographer would like to shoot.
Not far away from the Awl, a female Common Mormon (Papilio polytes romulus) was flitting around the host plant Indian Curry plant (Murraya koenigii). At last, it ovipoisted a single egg on a young leaf.
Thanks John for helping me to identify this large Scoliid wasp, Megascolia procer. It was found along a quiet trail at in the northen part of Sungei Buloh, facing the sea. The green iridescent wings were rather beautiful when it was foraging on a tree trunk.
This mammoth wasp made my day as it was my first sighting. It disappeared quickly when I was trying to get closure despite the initial fear of getting close to it. 
Another good encounter was that I bumped into my ex-colleague Mr Tee who was alone, wandering around to photograph birds - he also wondered where the birds had gone to. This hover fly kept me busy for a while as I was chasing it for some in-flight shots. 
Despite the very low wild life activity for me to capture in the camera, I still enjoyed the slow walk and the unique SBWR's serenity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment