Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kyoto Botanical Garden

Kyoto Botanical Garden is situated on the east bank of the Kamo river, north of Kyoto city. We visited this large garden on 25 June morning by train, alighting at the Kitayama station and entering the garden from the north gate.

The garden is big and well-maintained. It appears to have many small theme parks showcasing different variety of flowers and plants. Apart from the many colourful blooming Hydrangeas and Sunflowers, we could find many interesting flowers as well. 
The arrangement of the flower looks like an insect. What is this ?
 A large cluster of pink flowers not only drew my attention they attracted many bees too.  

The Cabbage White butterfly (Pieris rapae)  was quite common and it was always a challenge to take a good shot as it usually does not stay still for long.
We spent almost half-a-day roaming around and trying to see as much as we could. At one corner, I found many lotus flowers - showing off their brilliant colours in the sun.

I was fortunate to meet the Small Copper (lycaena phlaeas) again, my third encounter.   
It changed perch a few times and kept chasing until it got used to my presence and offered me more shots.
It showed off its beautiful upersides. 
We traipsed for a while before heading back to the north gate again. Feeding rather tamely on a yellow daisy flower, this Potanthus skipper  blended very well with the flower - I almost missed it.
There were quite a few robberflies zipping around from perch to perch. I noticed one of them grabbing its prey firmly with its front legs.  
It was a memorable and enjoyable trip for me. Once again, thanks KY our "local guide" who planned the itinerary and made all the transport arrangement. May be I should visit Kyoto in a different season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment