Sunday, July 28, 2013

Butterflies and Other Critters@Kaeng Krachan National Park, Thailand Part 4

Continue from my last post. 

We decided to explore the surrounding areas of the park on 11 June as we had to leave for the airport around noon (note : a 3-hour drive from the Samarn Birdcamp to Don Mueang Airport cost us 3000 Baht).   
There were quite a number of Pygmy Grass Blues (Zizula hylax) flitting around a grass patch just outside Birdcamp site.
I think this is a male Golden Birdwing (Troides aeacus aeacus)- he was fluttering at the ground level.
We walked towards the main gate of the KK Park. Along the way, we managed to spot some butterflies and critters. This is a Lemon Pansy (Junonia lemonias lemonias).
The Common Yeoman (Cirrochroa tyche mithila) was rather alert and active at first. But it got used to our presence and stayed on the leaf for a while.
The Zebra Blue (Leptotes plinius) flew past me and rested on a twig. I approached closer and snapped a few shots from a difficult angle.
A patch of grassland down a slope just outside the KK Park entrance was our main hunting ground. I could only manage one shot of this female Red Lacewing (Cethosia biblis perakana) whereas the male was too shy to come closer to me.
This is a Common Palmfly (Elymnias hypermnestra) but I am not sure which subspecies this is.
Again, we encountered quite a number of Plain Blue Crows (Eupolea modesta modesta) here.
On a closer look, I think this is a female Wanderer (Pareronia anais anais).
I am not sure what this lycaenid is - it just perched in front of me and scooted off as soon as I took a quick shot.
The Plain Tiger (Danaus chrysippus chrysippus) was rather common here.
Let me show some non-butterfly shots also. This small dragonfly was shot outside our room in the early morning on 9 June. But I have no idea what it is.
This beautiful damselfly appeared at Stream 2 on 10 June.
This brilliantly coloured shield bug seemed to be abundant around the Birdcamp area.
The was shot outside the KK Park entrance but it looks different from the above species.
A very small but beautiful beetle attracted my attention.
And big and ugly one also came along.
A few beautiful lantern bugs were found on some tree trunks at a campsite area.
Finally, let me post a couple of owls that the Birdcamp driver spotted near Stream 2 on 10 June. They stayed quite still high on the tree, oblivious to our presence and noise.  

After lunch at the Birdcamp, we were on our way to airport. We  must thank Mr Yano again for being our guide in this trip. If you love nature and a butterfly or a bird photographer and watcher looking for rich floral and fauna biodiversity, Kaeng Krachan National Park is definitely a good choice - I will visit KK Park again in the near future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment