Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lunar New Year's Eve @ LT

It was a beautiful sunny Sunday morning on 22 Jan which marked the last day of the Rabbit Year on the lunar calender, I decided to drop by Lornie Trail (LT). At my favourite spot, the invasive weed Mile-a-Minute (Mikania micrantha) didn't flower in time to welcome and usher in the Dragon Year.

While waiting for critters to appear and perch, I stood still and gazed at the ferns. I began to notice they were quite artistic and unique - a moment of silence with contemplation enables me to discover a new form of natural beauty.
The morning dews look exceptionally pleasing to the eyes - but I didn't do justice to these amazing and short-lived natural formations as my shots failed to reveal the details and their natural beauty.
In great disappointment, I walked towards a grass patch along the reservoir edge. A pair of small orange skippers engaging themselves in an intimate position caught my attention. After taking a few shots, I realised that they didn't look like the Lesser Dart (Potanthus omaha).
I was afraid that the trekkers and the joggers may scare them away, I quickly captured a few more shots - this upperside shot would be useful for us to identify the species.
They look like Potanthus ganda according to Dr Seow from ButterflyCircle.

There were many St. Andrew's Cross spiders (Argiope sp) waiting patiently on their webs to prey on any insects.
This one with a silvery pattern looks nice and different from the rest.
I am not a fan of spiders. After a few selective shots, I walked back to the Mile-a-Minute spot, hoping for a better luck. As the sunshine was getting warmer, the Bush Browns (Mycalesis species) which were in good numbers, started flitting around rather skittishly.

This is a Mycalesis perseoides perseoides as the brown straie on the forewing were distinctive enough for a positive identification.
This is another Mycalesis perseoides perseoides .
This is yet another Mycalesis perseoides perseoides perching on a kind of wild red ginger flower.
Before I made my way out to the main road, a Malay Viscount (Tanaecia pelea pelea) appeared and bid farewell to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment