Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lornie Trail On 15 Jan 2011


It was a Saturday. After lunch the weather looked rather good for an outing so I hopped on a bus to Lornie Trail - very easily accessible from Lornie Road for people like me who don't drive.

The Dark-tipped Forest-skimmer dragonfly (Cratilla metallica) was abundant, darting to-and-fro along the muddy forest track. A mating pair which was so intimately and acrobatically attached together was found on a twig but not for long, they separated after I had taken this shot.

A small perhaps an immature insect with a predominantly red body caught my attention. It remained on its perch for quite a while. However, I have no idea of what it is for the time being.
Next, I saw this spider with colourful legs lurking at the edge of a leaf, taking cover underneath the leaf when I tried to take more shots.
This black-and-white butterfly is Lance Sergeant (Athyma pravara helma). Some clusters of the white flowers of Mikania micrantha attracted quite a few species of butterfly.

I have not shot a Lance Sergeant (Athyma pravara helma) for a very long time but this bugger was not that cooperative. Demonstrating the typical sailing and gliding flight pattern, it was busy feeding from flower to flower, occasionally taking a short perch on the ferns.
There were two specimen of Lasippa species sailing and gliding from flower to flower - they were rather alert as well and too shy to come close me. On close examination of this shot, I believe this is a Burmese Lascar (Lasippa helicodore dorelia)
This particular female Cruiser (Vidula dejone erotella) was exceptionally huge - she was rather shy and refused to come close to me.
A small skipper looks like a Potanthus species also got intoxicated by the flowers.
While feeding, it opened its wings most of the time. I managed to take a quick shot of its underside.
Another slightly bigger orange skipper was also feeding nearby - perhaps a Potanthus species again.
I hope a complete view of its underside forewing would give us some clue to identify this species with certainty.
Finally, a Nacaduba species also added to my shuttle count.
I was quite surprised to see that there were not many dragonflies near the reservoir edge in this outing. However, the flowering weed - Mile-a-minute really made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment