Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Flowering Calophyllum soulattri @Toa Payoh Town Park

There were three flowering Bintangor Bunut trees (Calophyllum soulattri. Family : Clusiaceae) at Toa Payoh Town park.

I hope I have identified this tree correctly. This was the second time they were flowering this year though not as many flowers as the last time in February.

These trees were planted when the park was upgraded in 2007. More information about this tree can be found on the WildSingapore Factsheet website.

The mature leaves are oblong and elongated with a smooth surface, growing opposite each other.

I noticed the trees had many white flower buds on 17 May morning.
The same bunch of flower buds were in full bloom about a week later on 25 May.
Each flower has 4 white petals and numerous yellow stamens.
I could sense the fragrance of the flowers when I stood next to the tree. No wonder quite a few carpenter and honey bees (Apis species) diligently pollinating the flowers early in the morning. We must thank these bees. Without them, the flowers would not be fertilised and bear these rather smooth and round indehiscent drupes. This picture was taken on 28 May.The fruits turn purplish blue when they are ripe.
I am rather fortunate now that almost every weekday morning, I can walk around the park for about 15 minutes before I go to work. I hope I don't have to wait too long to see these beautiful and sweetly scented flowers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment