Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Glorious Butterfly Species @ USR

I went on a short outing trip to Upper Seletar Reservoir Park (USR ) on 31 Jan which was a fine Saturday morning. One of my usual hunting spots presented me with a pleasant surprise. This was the first time I could see at least half a dozen Dark Blue Jungle Glory butterflies (Thaumantis klugius lucipor) at one location. I guess the larval host plant must be nearby. I notice that the ocellus on the underside hindwing in space 2 of a female is bigger than that in a male. Also the presence of a tornal black spot on a female is not observed on a male Dark Blue Jungle Glory. I hope I am right to make these observations. While I was searching for a mating pair and the larval host plant, I almost bumped into this spider web overhanging my head. I have no idea what spider this is.I cannot remember if I have seen this black beetle before. Those vertical white markings on its wings did not help to conceal itself especially when it rested on a green foliage. It stayed very still for me to take a few shots but from an awkward angle. It looks like a kind of Darkling Beetle (?) Again, I have very poor knowledge of beetle, so I can't really tell what species it is.I am not sure if this is a fly or something else which kept flapping its wings on a leaf surface.
This is another spider found along a forest trail. I noticed that spiders seemed to be thriving in our nature reserves these days. This is Ictinogomphus decoratus, a rather big but common dragonfly found near the reservoir edge. It kept coming back to the same perch, so getting a shot was rather easy. I remember during my early years of butterfly watching and photography, it was quite rare for me to see a Dark Blue Jungle Glory. However, I have been sighting this species more frequently in the past few months. I feel that this is a puzzle that we are yet to find out all the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment