Friday, November 13, 2009

Fungi and Some Fauna @ MNT

I could not resist the temptation of the nice weather on a Sunday afternoon. So I packed my shooting gears and headed out to a very shady part of the MacRitchie Nature Trail(MNT).

This hairy moth caterpillar was found crawling slowly on a tree stem in the shade. Getting a shot with a brighter background was really tough in its enviroment.
I don't usually shoot common fly species that could be found in our forests. However, this small red-eyed fly staying very still on a leaf enticed me to take a few shots.I guess this is a beetle which was found in the shady forest undergrowth near a stream. The red markings on the body were not observed when I spotted it. Shooting from its side, we could see two fin-like structure protruding upwards from its body. Now, I wonder if this is a beetle. This is another small but predominantly red beetle with some black spots. It seemed that this species was rather common here as I found it during my previous few outings.
This insect has long and thread-like legs. It was found resting on a leaf surface. I don't know what it is.
This female Archduke (Lexias pardalis dirteana ) was quietly puddling on the damp forest floor. I have been encountering Archduke very frequently but in contrast, I have not seen the other two Lexias species for a long time. By decomposing dead plants and animals, fungi are natural recyclers. Some fungi contain chemical compounds which can be used for antibiotics which help fighting human diseases. Fungi also provide food and shelter for many insects in nature. This is a kind of bracket fungus. I usually saw this seashell-like and rather woody fungus growing on dead tree trunks. This is another fungus usually found in the shady undergrowth of our forests.
This black fungus growing on a dead fallen tree trunk was found near the above fungus. I suspect they are the same species and this black one being older, perhaps ?
Next time, I have to pay attention to fungi and other floral species growing in the forests so that I will have a better understanding of their structures, roles, functions in our nature reserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment