Tuesday, October 6, 2009

After Rain at Seletar Wasteland

On 3 Oct, Yong and I were heading to Seletar wasteland instead of elsewhere, thanks Yong for giving me a ride. We were lucky as the weather was undesirable for outdoors enthusiasts in many parts of the island (see here). The brief spell of the morning shower presented us with a rare opportunity of shooting this small Bush Hopper (Ampittia dioscorides camertes) together with water droplets. John has confirmed that this is Vespa affinis (lesser banded hornet). I saw quite a number of them buzzing around, often curling their body while feeding. This was one of the instantaneous shot when it landed on some leaves. I have very little knowledge of grasshopper. I found this particular immature grasshopper (?) interesting and strange to me - where are its eyes ?These two ants look like a species in the genus Polyrhachis ? They showed a great interest in a small critter (don't know what it is). I observed that the ants used their antennae to tickle the bugger and at times used their legs to touch the bug as well. Ants are well known to have symbiotic relationship with other fauna species, I wonder if this is another example. There were quite a few clusters of this flowering herb which looks like Pig Grass, Synedrella nodiflora (Family : Asteraceae). Though many flowers were not in full bloom, some yellow ray florets were attractive and prominent enough to capture our attention. This Blue Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis vulgaris macrina) was addicted to the nectar, allowing us to take a few shots. A distinctive identification key of Blue Glassy Tiger is that the underside forewing's light blue cell streak was discontinued by a dark bar. This was where and how it rested above my head when it has got enough nectar. When I looked through the lens, I loved that creamy green background and decided to take this shot from an elevated angle. There were at least half a dozen of them fluttering around some vines which were unknown to me. We also found quite a few Common Mime (Chilasa clytia clytia 斑凤蝶) larvae resting on the upperside of some young wild Cinnamon leaves. Katydid is a singing insect that has large and powerful hind legs and a pair of long thread-like antennae. This was found in the bushes and its dorsal view shows a prominent brown band. Finally, I would like to present a magnificent winged beauty that was frequently found around the area. Club Silverline (Spindasis syama terana 豆粒银线灰蝶) is one of my favourite butterflies that I would love to shoot whenever I encounter it . We spotted two individuals however I didn't have the luck to take more shots.
I was rather disappointed that I did not see any adults of No Brand Grass Yellow (Eurema brigitta senna) (see previous post). I hope the females have laid many eggs and the next generation of NBGY is in the making otherwise we may have to say good bye to NBGY .

No comments:

Post a Comment