Friday, March 13, 2015

Two Outings to Upper Seletar Reservoir (USR) Park

On two consecutive Saturday mornings (21 and 28 Feb), I accompanied my two different Secondary school classmates to trek from Bukit Panjang to USR. Though it was a long trek, I didn't have any chance to photograph any critters.

On both occasions I decided to stay a bit longer at USR to look for butterflies and critters. 

A rather pristine Purple Duke (Eulaceura osteria kumana) was displaying an unusual behaviour  -resting on a leaf surface instead of hiding underneath a leaf.  
The Common Posy (Drupadia ravindra moorei) was flitting around from leaf to leaf. I wasn't very keen to chase it but when it perched right in front of me, I instinctively snapped a quick shot.
I am not sure what this bug is - a Sting bug perhaps. It stayed on the edge of a leaf for me to snap a few shots.
My second Common Posy shot was taken on 28 Feb - a common sight and behaviour when it perched on the ants-infested Smilex bracteata.  
A Yamfly (Loxura atymnus fuconius) displayed the same behaviour - a close association with ants. 
A female Horsfield's Baron was loitering around her host plant - the Singapore Rhododendron (Melastoma malabathricum) in the afternoon. 
I was lucky to have her staying on the leaf for a while.
I wonder when USR will be teeming with butterflies and critters again? 

No comments:

Post a Comment