Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Venomous Snake at Upper Seletar Reservoir Park

Thanks CJ for giving me a lift to the USRP when she spotted me waiting at a bus stop along Upper Thomson Road on 21 Sept and thanks Simon for getting the ButterflyCircle's embroidered badges ready for all of us. 

This snake which looked like a highly venomous Wagler's Pit Viper (Tropidolaemus wagleri) was lurking behind a shrub just a few meters away from the pavement. I was told that it had been curling around this tree for more than two weeks.  I cautiously approached closer and took a few shots.
We ventured deep into the forest. I could see a few butterflies flying pass us but I just could not get any shot. Instead, I noticed a cicada resting on a tree trunk, rather high above me.
A very alert and skittish Spotted Judy (Abisara geza niya) made me work very hard before I could take a long distance shot. After that, it never appeared again.
We didn't have many photographing opportunities. So when this mating plant hopper appeared in front of me I could not resist taking some shots.
I encountered two different Lesser Harlequins (Laxita thuisto thuisto) at two different locations. They loved to turn and hop around whenever they perched so getting a shot was a test of my patience and reaction. 
I didn't stay too long in the deep forest. I moved out early and made a slight detour to check out the area outside the SAF firing range. I believe this is a kind of wasp which I may have shot before.
It has been a long time since I last shot of  an Arhopala species at this location. It looks like a Arhopala amphimuta amphimuta.
Last shot of the day was this sun-bathing Malayan Snow Flat (Tagiades calligana).

No comments:

Post a Comment